You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Sunday, June 26, 2016

40mm Samurai: Retinue


I've had these 40mm figures from Steve Barber's samurai range for months and only now finally finished them. There was a lot of planning with these, to get the individual figures assembled and prepared/fitted/aligned to carry the kago/palanquin, to get the kago/palanquin itself assembled and painted (I assembled it incorrectly, by the way; it should have a peaked roof,) and then of course to get a scheme planned and everything painted. And all of this occurred during a time in my life when painting minis was the last thing on my mind.

Fast forward a few months, and I'm currently experiencing a resurgence of minis painting. I saw these guys sitting off to the side and pulled them back to the table. Now, my entire samurai collection is once more complete.

I would like to assemble and paint one more kago, but before I do, I might commission a sculpt of a noble to sit inside -- the opposite side has an open window which was planned for the future commission. It still might be a while until I commission another sculpt, but the rider is a strong contender to be the next. I think in the coming months/years, my next commissions will be various Edo period civilians -- pilgrims, laborers, messengers, travelers, merchants,etc. Don't forget, you, too, can commission sculpts!

8 comments:

  1. Stunning work on these figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting on wonderful sculpts. Not another scale, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went to this scale because I wanted to paint samurai, but I didn't want to paint lace and patterns at 28mm scale. I also figured these weren't going to be mixing with any of my other ranges.
      Give in to the 40s, give in to the ease of painting larger :)

      Delete
  3. I've been waiting for you to finish these. Worth the wait I must say! I agree one must cross over to the dark side and join the true scale, the 40mm scale!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete