You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bases and tabletop items


I went on a walk this morning and bought some new basing supplies from three of the four hobby shops/game stores in town. On Gale Force Nine's website, they have basing sets, and one of them was "parched pasture." I liked the look of it, and want to use it for my Waiteri tribe. I wanted to see an example in person, so I threw together this base (poker chip) and added a couple of my own extras (tall grass and a 6mm autumn tuft from Army Painter.) Except for the tall grass, I like the look. It's a departure from my usual static grass+clump foliage bases. I DO like the shorter of the two tallgrass clumps, but I will still use it sparingly (maybe two or three clumps total for the whole tribe of 12.) I was thinking of doing flowers on a base or two, but I wanted the bases to reflect more of a barren (if grassy) landscape, a place that can support life, but where life can't quite thrive.

Today, I also cleaned up my table top. I also pulled out some Sculpey to play with, and threw together a few items for my tabletop. From left to right in the picture are a tool rest, a paint palette, and a well in which I can squirt a bit of superglue (and apply with the ready-to-use toothpicks.) The paint palette is a very specific/niche item in this case; I made it to fit the base of the Reaper squirt-type bottle (the only one of that type of bottle I have). While the paint jar is not in use, it sits on its own personal palette. When I need that color, I squirt a bit in the little palette and paint away. These were pretty simple to make. Roll up some Sculpey and sculpt and press with your thumbs. Cook. Done. Hmmm, I wonder what other tools/accessories I could make ....

3 comments:

  1. They are very "cave-man-esque".. you really are getting into character with this current project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I forgot to comment about the basing. I like the burnt grass and the medium tufts. I don't like the green grass for these, but I think the burnt grass would look great complimenting some gravel. Real barren looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's me REALLY being caveman-esque: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6222/2486/1600/Sidewalk%20cave%20art.jpg

    That was a few years ago. I had two or three rum'n'cokes in me, and a shoebox filled with ochre rocks and charcoal I'd collected for this very purpose.

    ReplyDelete